Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanned Photo Archiving
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:34:40 -0700

Aram,
As you archive your 56mb master scans onto CD, I'd suggest that you also
make scaled-down versions at a resolution from which you can draw for web
use (for example 1024x768), as well as thumnails, so you can have your
complete catalogue immediately available on your hard disk.  At 56mb, you're
only going to be putting 10-12 images onto a CD, and that will get out of
control very quickly.  Create a database in which each image is assigned a
sequential number.  In your database, be sure to track the CD number on
which a particular image resides, as well as any other information such as
photographer, equipment, location, etc.  Variants of the image, such as the
thumnails and your 1024x768s can carry a suffix, such as 't' for thumnails,
and 'w' for web.

I would be wary of saving files in a proprietary format such as Genuine
Fractals, since you don't want your images inaccessible, should something
happen to the company that makes the software that reads that format.
Photoshop format is another matter, since Photoshop is so pervasive, that
even if Adobe were to go away tomorrow, there would be many third party
options to read the format.

- --Jim Laurel