Subject: [Leica] Scanned Photo Archiving
From: "Aram Langhans" <alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 11:02:04 -0700

Some advice from those with more wisdom than I.  I have been scanning away
with my new scanner and have been filling up my hard drive.  I am going to
burn a bunch of CD's, but would like to know what format you thing is best.
When I scan my slides I have been using 16 bit.  The files are about 56MB in
size when saved as a photoshop file.  I seem to remember somewhere that it
was advised that after manipulating the photo to convert it to 8 bit Tiff
format to save.  If I could use compressed Tiff format, that would greatly
increase the number of images I could put on a CD.

Aside from the obvious space advantage, what would I be gaining or loosing
by converting from 16 bit to 8 bit?  What format is best for storing.  I use
PC but would like to share files with anyone.  I gave a file to a friend who
couldn't open it.  He was using PaintShop Pro.  I reduced it to 8 bit
photoshop file and he was able to read it.

Thanks

This message is made of 100% recycled electrons.  No new atoms were
destroyed in making it.

Aram Langhans
Science Teacher, Naches High School
P. O. Box 159/101 W. 5th. St.