Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: 24x36 CCD
From: "Aram Langhans" <alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 14:48:27 -0700

I am not an expert at this, so I may be quite a bit off base.  Maybe Contax
can do this because it is an SLR and not a rangefinder.  A few people who
know way more than I do stated that the problems are greatest with wide
angle lenses, as the light rays strike the edges of the CCD at a greater
angle.  With the SLR and the mirror box, the lenses cannot protrude as far
into the camera as with a rangefinder.  To me, that would mean that to reach
the edges of the CCD the angle of the light ray for an SLR lens would not be
as great.  With the wide angle lens of a M camera, the angle would be much
greater to get from the back of the lens to the edge of a full frame CCD.

Does this make any sense?  Could this be a reason why Contax is even
attempting a full 24x36 CCD for their N1 camera?

Aram

This message is made of 100% recycled electrons.  No new atoms were
destroyed in making this message.

Aram Langhans
Science Teacher
Naches High School