Subject: [Leica] So...How much does it cost to...
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:16:54 -0600

I am once again simply delighted with Kindermann Canada and their wonderful
repair staff. Gerry Smith is a Leica repair god! I thought I would post what
I had repaired for what price to help those who are always asking the above.

My just purchased dirt cheap SL2 (someone had dropped it in a creek!) had a
wonky meter, stiff back release, murky viewfinder and that horrible split
rangefinder focusing screen. Gerry took it completely apart to clean out the
creek residue, CLAed it and found an original SL2 micro-prism screen (SL
screens do not have the proper set up to show the apertures). Labour $260CAN
($165US), minor parts $18CAN ($11.50US) and a used screen at $125CAN ($80US)
for a total of $403CAN ($257US). Turn around time was fairly long as he had
to search for a screen.

My used 35/1.4 Asph developed a stiff spot in the focus ring at about the
one meter mark. Probably after I whacked it against something. Gerry opened
it up to get rid of the high spot on the focusing helicals and collimated
the repaired lens. Total cost (all labour) was $138CAN ($88US) with a turn
around time of under a week.

I am very happy, nay, delighted with the work and the low cost (Do not
forget the creek!).

John Collier

PS: I paid $250US for the SL2 which means for $500US I have a CLAed SL2 with
a great screen. As a point of reference a new screen for a SL2 goes for
$250US when you can find them.