Subject: [Leica] Better than an slr...
From: "Gumm, Jim" <Jim.Gumm@okdhs.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 16:27:21 -0500

I take better pictures with a Leica rangefinder than with an SLR because...I
Leica the glass!
I used to not buy into the idea that Leitz glass was any better than Canon,
Nikon, etc...but, I do now. I finally have become more acutely aware of
these differences after shooting both for many years and evaluating
negatives, chromes and B+W. There is a certain pictoral quality that goes
beyond resolution. Leitz glass does have great acutance, but also a certain
3 dimensional effect in some of their wide angles (35 Summilux pre-asph),
that translates into better looking prints. Prints from other lenses seem to
have a slight 'veil' when directly compared to Leitz lenses, and mine have
all come from Canada ,imagine what a Wetzlar lens would do. ;^) maybe this
'veiling effect' comes from zooms with so many elements or maybe its the
plastic lenses in there. I am interested in what image stabilization has to
offer, but I cringe when I think of another 8 or 10 elements in there, not
helping optically.
Still waiting for some vulcanite, it must be dear to Leica users out there.
Jimbo

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Better than an slr...)