Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R7 vs RTS-II
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:13:52 -0400

At 08:16 AM 10/13/01 -0400, Sal DiMarco,Jr. wrote:
>    Are you refering to the Zeiss Mirror lenses? the 500mm f/4.5 and the
>1000mm f/5.6?
>    Well, from my personal experience with the 1000mm, I can say the lens is
>"unparalleled." The Time-Life Labs' equipment room has one. It weighs about
>fifty pounds, the case is another fifty and a tripod strong enough to hold
>it steady weighs another fifty pounds. The lens T-stops at about f/8 and in
>anything less than bright sunlight is a bear to focus. When you were sharp,
>the lens was sharp but the performance was no barn burner.
>    Not to mention the $10,000.-- price tag, twenty years ago!!
>    When every the lens come out for a group outing, we all hold our breath
>while we draw straws to pick the "luck" soul who has to shoot with it.
>   Sorry, Marc on this one, I disagree.

Sal

The Mirotars are NOT convenient lenses to use -- but, optically, they
remain without rival, which is what I was intending to say.  When you
absolutely, positively MUST have the very best, the Mirotar is the only
game in town.  (And that is why around 2/3 of the Mirotars produced have
been marketed for scientific or industrial applications.)

The current price for the 1000mm Mirotar is around $US 75,000 -- these
lenses have always been hand-built and, generally, only to special order.
I doubt if Zeiss sells more than one every two or three years.  The East
German Carl Zeiss Jena versions are almost as good, and can often be found
on e-Bay for around $5,000 or less, so most users seem to try to find one
of these puppies first!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!