Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R7 vs RTS-II
From: Bernard Cousineau <flatbroke@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:32:23 -0400

Marc James Small wrote:
> The current price for the 1000mm Mirotar is around $US 75,000 -- these
> lenses have always been hand-built and, generally, only to special order.
> I doubt if Zeiss sells more than one every two or three years.

One note,
The Mirotars are apparently built by the Carl Zeiss telescope division, and not the camera lens division. Given the usual price tag of Zeiss telescopes (several million, you provide the mountain top or satellite), they are a bargain.
That being said, they are not really a reason to get into the Contax system, given that you could probably get your local Zeiss/Kyocera rep to throw in a couple of RTSIII bodies to dedicate to the lens.

As far as RTSII vs R7 is concerned, it's a bit of a wash. Go with your heart on this one. Both systems labour under doubts as to their long-term viability.
The Contax 2.8/180 is a lens that many Contax users feel is ripe for a re-design, while the older Leica 2.8/180 was eclipsed by it's contemporary 3.4/180 and the current APO 2.8/180. There are good deals to be had with the older 180, so price isn't
even an issue on this one. As for Contax 1.4/85 vs Leica 1.4/80, they are both solid performers of classical design. Neither one makes the other look bad.

Both systems offer some lenses that are unequalled, such as the Zeiss 1.2/55, 1.2/85, 2.0/100, 2.0/135, and Leica anything APO and/or 280 mm. and up.

Bernard