Subject: Re: [Leica] pronunciation
From: "Mârtiòð Zelmenis" <martin@lrpv.lv>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:42:49 +0200

Dear Nathan,
receiving this very post of yours I, too, can see those letters undistorted!
(Not that I'm sure I can _read_ them right!) Just those chaps at Microsoft
or Adobe or what else haven't given a thought there _might_ even be some
other modified Latin (Antiqua) letters around. And those letters might be
used in e-mails. So I prefer to use my name in its international version,
not using plain Latin alphabet letters. I feel this makes life easier for
me - and for you,  too! Just don't pay too much attention to those
hieroglyphs in the header!!        ;-)

Yours
Martin

P.S.
It's still a mystery to me how the Czechs have solved the problem, as their
set of letters is very similar to ours; if they have got past it in a normal
way, probably they could help us out.

M.

But Martin,

I have no problem using the Danish letters æ, ø and å in my posts, and they
appear OK. They are part of the extended ASCII character set. Are the
Latvian
letters even more exotic?

Nathan

Mârtiòð Zelmenis wrote:

> OH!
> That's more to do with font codes than alphabet itself.
> It's Latin alphabet we're using here, of course - with special <diacritic>
> marks on some letters to denote special sounds - along the same line as
the
> Nordic languages, for instance, are using. The signs were made to
correspond
> with Czech language - after the alphabet reform of 1920ies (before that we
> used the outdated <Fractura>.
> Well, Martin is Martin - and I guess the correct pronounciation of the
> international name's Latvian version might be smth like [ma:rtinjsh]. But
> it's a natural pain-in-the-ass for anyone whose native language hasn't got
> those special sounds.
> And to my great sorrow it turns out the international font coding isn't
> right for Latvian! We just can't use our letters sending international
> e-mails - then we get those undecipherables you are marvelling at.
> I can elaborate on this - if I've not made it clear enough.
>
> Yours
> Martin
>
> This is sort of off topic, but I'll bet that I am not the only one who
wants
> to know this.
>
> Can you explain enough about the alphabet used in Latvia to explain how
this
> name:
>
> > Mârtiòð
>
> can be the same as this name:
>
> > Martin
>
> In particular, can you give the name of the letter used at the end of your
> name,
> tell us how it is pronounced, and how it might give an "n" sound in
English?