Subject: [Leica] Ask not for whom the bell tolls - OT
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:22:05 -0700

Nikon announced yesterday that it will cease production of all Nikonos
cameras.

John Collier
************************

I've occasionally considered getting a Nikonos for photography in the rain
(9 months of the year in Seattle), fieldwork, and wet muddy construction
sites. I don't dive, as I already have too many expensive hobbies, but my
brother does (maybe he'll go in with me), and many of my coworkers do(maybe
I could rent it out on a few of our jobs). With the above announcement I
don't know if I should seriously consider it or not. I assume that Nikon
will have to provide parts and service for the next 10 years?

Does anybody have any thoughts or comments on the Nikonos V and the two
amphibious lenses (a bit soft wide open, decent stopped down, pleasant
bokeh, somewhat flare prone etc...). I've used a co-workers Nikons IV and
35/2.5 in the somewhat distant past doing stream surveys, but I don't have
any of the pictures and don't really recall much about the camera or lens.

Tom Finnegan
Seattle

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] Ask not for whom the bell tolls - OT)