Subject: Re: [Leica] Ruined slides -- is Kodachrome the solution ?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 09:48:18 -0600

Keep looking. There are good labs out there. They will still on occasion
make mistakes but so do you and I. With my lab I have only had one screw-up
in two hundred rolls. A mounting machine went nuts and Ginsu knifed one
roll. Heck if I had been extra cautious and mounted my own, they would have
a perfect record. Personal relationships count for a great deal in this
business/hobby. I bring my 3 year old son on all my lab visits and he really
cuts the ice. On special holidays send cookies or flowers or whatever local
custom dictates. Nice and friendly people get nice and friendly service.

There are new "inexpensive" Kodachrome labs ($1 000 000US) available but I
cannot imagine very many businesses would be willing to invest in one with
digital taking off the way it is. E6 labs are peanuts by comparison so it
will be available for a long time to come. My lab is a small operation that
caters mostly to professionals and students. Their customers are not
faceless and so they work hard to make them happy.

John Collier