Subject: [Leica] Re: partial roll.
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 16:07:58 -0700

At 12:21 PM 10/4/2001 -0700, G. Michael Paine wrote:
>My M6 is new to me, had an M3 before. There are times when I rewind a
>partially used roll of film, and my question concerns advancing that roll
>when I re-insert it. The new, for me, lens cap, how light proof is it? I
>looked through the lens from the rear, pointed at a strong light with cap
>on, it seems no light was getting through. Is the collected wisdom here
>that I can advance my film to the last used frame relying on the film cap
>not to admit light or should I take greater precautions on covering the
>lens during this process?
>Michael
>--

Michael,

I no longer do "partial rolls." I used to do them anytime there was ten or
more frames left on a roll. But a few times over the years, I grabbed a
roll, threw it into my M6, and started taking photographs only to discover
later that I had double exposed the first frames as it was a "partial roll."

I thought it could never happen because I marked the cassette and tongue
very well.

Well... sometimes you are just in a hurry and don't take that extra
nanosecond to double check the roll. And sometimes you are in dim light
where it is difficult to see a marked roll even if you do look. The latter
is what happened to me twice. The first, once.

After that, no partial rolls, when I need to change film, the leader goes
back into the cassette and the roll is d-o-n-e. Even if only three, five,
or whatever frames. Done!

Film is dirt cheap but situations never occur again. By double exposing in
error, you screw-up two photo situations, not just one.

JMHO,

Jim

Replies: Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: partial roll.)