Subject: [Leica] RE:24mm finders
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 20:54:52 -0700

At 2:18 AM +0200 10/6/01, Félix López de Maturana wrote:
>"My 24mm finder broke in two after the first use. I used super glue to put
>it
>back together and now it seems OK, but I am shocked at how poorly it was
>made."
>
>I use the Leica 21mm and the Voigtländer 12mm finders and, just in my
>opinion, the Voigtländer is better, not speaking about the price.

Well, I'm sure I'm sounding like a broken record to the long-standing
members of the list, but add me to the number that like the new Leica
plastic finders.

I've had Leica 21's and 28's for a long time, and of course used and
still have some older metal finders. One of each is still in useable
condition, but many have been lost and many others have been dropped
at some point. Some of the dropped ones are still slightly useable in
spite of the cracked elements, so I didn't throw them out. They were
dropped because they weren't held in tightly enough, and then the
glass cracked because of the direct metal/glass contact. Both those
problems have been solved with the plastic finders. I no longer put
the finders on a tether, which was both a nuisance and didn't
completely save them, as one of them slipped out of the shoe and
banged hard enough into the camera back (I think) to crack. I also
damaged an M4 top plate when I caught a finder on something and it
didn't slip out. That cost even more than a new finder.

The C-V finders are nice, but they are bigger, which is a drawback.
The 12mm finder is a lot bigger. I now have 12, 15, 21 and 35 C-V
finders, and I will probably buy new ones to replace these as they
wear out or get broken, but only because of price. They are not as
accurate as the Leica ones, and that is a nuisance. Optically they
are also not quite as good, showing a little more distortion. The
12mm, for which there is of course no equivalent in other makes, is
quite inaccurate due to distortion; side to side it doesn't show
quite as much as the camera lens sees, but corner to corner it shows
about 20 degrees more. I can live with that, as there is no
alternative when using the lens, but it is hardly ideal.

All in all I like the Leica finders better, except for the price.
Just like with most other things that Leica makes.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com