Subject: [Leica] Re: New aviation rules
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 09:27:19 -0400

> Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:13:11 -0600
> From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New aviation rules
> My boss is an aviation nut and subscribes to various industry rags. It was
> discussed in "Pilot" magazine under the regular section they have on FAA
> incident reports.
>
> What I wanted to write was:
>
> "My sources are ironclad. A friend of a friend met someone once who knew
> someone that was on the very plane that had problems!"
>
> :-)

The Wall Street Journal did a front page piece on this issue last year
basically debunking the myth. The airlines make a nice profit on their
overpriced airphones, so they have an inventive for banning cell phones.
For a while, the excuse was that such use would cause havoc with the
cell network by keying up more than one cell simultaneously. The cell
phone companies were quoted in the Journal piece as saying it really
wasn't a problem.

Consider this: airplane navigation systems are capable of flying through
near fields of UHF television broadcast transmitters, which run up to 5
million watts. They are capable of operating near powerful military
radar systems emitting megawatts of RF. If my cell phone emitting 1/3
watt of 800Mhz RF is going to cause a problem, then something is
seriously wrong with the aircraft's systems

Just to keep this on topic, bear in mind that as photographers, we know
that light falls off from its source according to the inverse square
rule. Radio waves behave the same way. Left as an exercise for the
reader: If I am seated 30 feet from the cockpit, how much of my 1/3 watt
actually reaches the vicinity of the avionics bay?

Rolfe Tessem
NYC