Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New aviation rules
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:13:11 -0600

My boss is an aviation nut and subscribes to various industry rags. It was
discussed in "Pilot" magazine under the regular section they have on FAA
incident reports.

What I wanted to write was:

"My sources are ironclad. A friend of a friend met someone once who knew
someone that was on the very plane that had problems!"

:-)

I was just flying domestically in Canada and can report that security varies
considerably from airport to airport. In Edmonton I was given the new Q&A
spiel, ID check and my camera was checked out incompetently but carefully
(they looked through the viewfinder to make sure the lens was clear). No
problems with having my film hand-checked. My next flight out of a small
airport was quite different. The chap at the counter looked quite
embarrassed when I reminded him to ID me and forgot to ID my son. The x-ray
people had apparently never been asked to hand-check film before and
carefully squeezed each canister. I have no idea what they were looking for
but it took about five minutes to check twenty rolls.

John Collier