Subject: RE: [Leica] Van Ripper Writes About Flying/Carry On
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 10:40:10 +0100

Jim Laurel wrote

"Well, this looks like the death knell for photographers, doesn't it?  If
all
the airlines follow PanAm and disallow any hand carry items, then you will
be forced to buy your film overseas and have it processed there before you
return."

Don't be downhearted, Jim, there's *always* a way. I'm wary of posting
information about what's happening with hand luggage on airlines in Europe
to the LUG, since some here find it necessary to imply I'm lying or scare
mongering. However the situation *is* getting clearer, and I'm not so
pessimistic. We'd expect things to be difficult for a while as the
airports/airlines work out what is the most appropriate long-term response.

However I'm trying (time permitting, as ever) to gather together two lists
of 'phone numbers. One for airports and airlines (so we can check the
current security status and what rules they're using at any particular time)
and another of known good film suppliers and processors in various
locations.

"Even going digital isn't going to help you, given the liklihood
that your equipment will be stolen.  I was quite disturbed to read Van
Riper's account of items being stolen from a locked Pelican case packed
INSIDE of an old duffel!"

That was Heathrow (LHR). Heathrow is a *nightmare*, and if you can avoid
taking equipment through there as checked baggage, then do. I know of one
snapper who has lost GBP10,000 lighting rigs flying out of LHR on *three*
separate occasions. They were never recovered. Of course since they
disappeared on the outbound flight he had to buy a load of new kit in the
country where he was shooting, and of course just to twist the knife in the
wound, he got done for import duty when he brought it back.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"The more opinions you have, the less you see." -- Wim Wenders.