Subject: Re: [Leica] Tripod Head Recommendations
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 11:16:55 -0700

Greg J. Lorenzo writes:
 > [...]
 > Can someone recommend a good stable tripod head which meet the
 > requirements of strength plus light weight outlined above?

I have an Arca Swiss B1 that I like a lot.  As someone has commented,
the panning knob is a bit inconvenient, but the thing is relatively
bomb-proof.  I have Really Right Stuff plates on most of my cameras
and a generic Arca plate that I can slap onto special cases (including
my M6, since I haven't gotten around to cloning Jim Brick's
rapid-winder adapted Kirk plate).

That said, I'm really curious about the "Ultimate Ballhead"
(http://acratech.net/prod01.htm).  I've seen a couple of good reviews,
including the one on Luminous Landscape
(http://www.luminous-landscape.com/arcatech.htm), but haven't had the
chance to actually touch one.  It seems like a really nice light
weight solution that would complement a nice graphite tripod (hey, I
can lust, can't I?).  The only thing that I can't figure out is if it
has the same fine tension adjustments that I've become used to on the
B1, or if it's more of a floppy<->clamped setup.

Anyone out there had their hands on one yet?

g.