Subject: Re: [Leica] Tripod Head Recommendations
From: Eng Yeo <farmboys@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:19:07 +1200

on 9/29/01 12:00 PM, Greg J. Lorenzo at gregj.lorenzo@home.com wrote:

> I recently purchased a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod rated to take 33 pounds
> of camera and lens. I will use it primarily for my R8 in conjunction
> with a telephoto lens but I also wanted the capability to use it for a
> future medium format setup.
>
> Now I need to purchase a head for this tripod.
>
> I have been looking at the 5 series magnesium Gitzo heads but I would
> also consider other brands as well.
>
> Can someone recommend a good stable tripod head which meet the
> requirements of strength plus light weight outlined above?
>
> All suggestions welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg J. Lorenzo
> Calgary, Alberta
> --
I also bought a Gitzo G2228 tripod recently.
I have a Foba Superball with quick release. This does not have the
reputation of jamming up as in the case of many Arca-Swiss B-1 head.
If this is too heavy, a cheaper and light option would be, try Manfrotto 300
series (the one with panning feature at the bottom) and buy a RRS B2-Pro
clamp to be attached to the top.
RRS also have a plate B54 for R8 Motor drive.
For M series, RRS has B30.
Gitzo G1275 M head is only slightly lighter than Arca-Swiss and Gitzo's
quick release adaptor is a wee bit big (perhaps with RRS's B2-Pro clamp may
be better option.)
Although Leica's own ball and socket head is extremely good but it is a wee
bit too small for tele lenses.

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: OT - Leicina)