Subject: [Leica] RE: DARKROOM II
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:28:04 -0700

At 08:35 AM 9/25/2001 -0400, Nguyen, Olivier T [AMSTA-AR-CCF] wrote:

>can you tell me why do you have more than one enlarger in your darkroom ?
>is there any trick to perform ?  I want to learn that trick.  Please, I am
>not try to make fun of  you or anything.  I just try to see what you do with
>more than 1 enlarger that is all.  I just want to learn new thing.
>
>I right now have 1 enlarger in my room and still litlle by little learn to
>developt the film and the print correctly here.  I am a fresh newbie of
>darkroom so I did not see much of thing yet specially the tonal change in
>slightly and I still make a lot of mistake such as little too dark for skin
>tones etc.
>
>Yes, darkroom is fun.  taking picture without developt and print already
>kill 80% of the fun.
>
>I try color one time by developt the film and print but not 100% success
>yet.  I will try again.  Can anyone here point me to any website or any
>place beside library that show me how to developt the color.  I follow some
>guide line of our member here and I fail in the first time.  don't know what
>going on.  Probably the temperature is not correctly control
>
>Olivier

There are numerous reasons to have more than one enlarger. For instance,
the Leitz V35 is optimized for enlarging 35mm. It's as good as you can get.
But it won't enlarge 6x6, 4x5, or 8x10 films. If you want the best 35mm
enlarger and want to be able to also enlarge a larger format... two (or
more) enlargers.

Also, with two enlargers, you can be working on two
negatives/transparencies at the same time. With a processor (JOBO) a test
print from one enlarger can be processing while you make exposure tests on
a second enlarger. This is the best method for increased throughput.

Jim