Subject: Re: [Leica] Used Leica camera question! :)
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 26 Sep 2001 09:16:42 -0700

On Wed, 26 September 2001, "Wang, Albert" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I was wondering whether it is cheaper to buy a broken Leica R-series camera
> and pay to have it fixed rather than spending a lot of money procuring a
> working unit? The broken Leica R-series camera has a problem with the
> advance lever and is probably going to go for 100 dollars.
>
> thanks,
> Alfie

If it's an R4, consider the broken camera good for spare parts.  An R4s or newer may be repairable but you're taking your chances.  I was given a broken R4sP (broken main casting) and by doing some of the repair work myself and by getting a good deal on the replacement main casting I kept the cost below what a working body would have been.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe