Subject: Re: [Leica] Private property and buildings
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 13:04:26 -0500

You have to remember, Ted, that being Canadian in South Louisiana
alone makes you a suspicious character.  You'll recall that the way we
got Cajuns  (Acadians) is that they were kinda pushed outta that
country up there.

Of course, here in Natchitoches, (Northwestern Louisiana)the oldest
city in the Louisiana Purchase,  we're descended directly from French
Colonials, and so we're far more cordial to you Canadians (even the
non-French variety!)

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

Regards,

Sonny
(Grandson of Angie Cardozier)
http://www.sonc.com

Ted wrote:
> The disturbing part of the related experiences for me is,  "that
they have
> taken place in the United States of America!" This is the country
seen by
> nations of the world as the complete country of freedom of citizens
and yet
> we've read many tales of how those "free citizens " appear to be so
paranoid
> of cameras and pictures being taken.
>
> My own "challenged by" took place in a fishing village near New
Orleans a
> few years ago, took me completely by surprise, that for a moment I
feared
> some injury the way the chap was going on. My only momentary saving
grace
> was, I showed him my passport and drivers license with my pictures
and I was
> a visitor to his country and taking tourist pictures.
>
> It calmed him for a moment as he read,  then responded.... "you
government
> guys can fake anything you want, get the hell out of here!"
>
> So it was game over, I high tailed it out of there.
>
> Many of us who've traveled abroad and even in some of the most
troubled
> countries have never had similar experience while shooting. Not to
say some
> haven't, but as we see here most of the comments reflect an attitude
in the
> US of, "fear, paranoia or what?" by it's residents when a camera is
pointed
> in their direction, even though they are not the centre of
attraction.

> As your incident in Seattle. Quite amazing!
>
> > About four years ago, I was photographing a street corner just
opposite
> the
> > Seattle's Pike Place market.  I wasn't photographing anyone in
particular,
> > just the crowd scene.  Next, this woman comes running up to me
screaming
> > "What right do you have to take pictures of Native Americans?  You
should
> > ask permission!  You have no right to disrespect Native Americans
like
> > this!"
>
> I wonder if USA members have any idea why ?  And please guys, this
need not
> become some bashing thing.
> ted
>
> Ted Grant Photography Limited