Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographing stage performances--help!
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 11:28:24 -0500

Martin wrote:

> Sonny,
> > Onceuponatime Iwas in Glasgow photographing Keith Tippet in
concert; I made
> a few shots with my M4, was preparing for another, and then the guy
sitting
> on the 2nd chair to the right from me leaned over and hissed to me
(louder
> than the shutter noise, it seemed:
>
> DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> That much about the famed noiseless shutter - if someone is ready to
hiss at
> you, he/she will!

I think lot depends on how much you move the camera and distract the
audience around you.  I'm sure my hand movements are much more
bothersome in a performance than the shutter noise.

Another point:  I try to shoot when music or dialogue is loud.  Those
are more often than not the most pictorial anyhow, and in the case of
piano music, a quiet passage could be marred by camera "snicks."

On the other hand, If you keep the camera to your eye, and shoot only
when Tippet is playing aggressively, you will get better shots and not
bother the other people who've paid those outrageous ticket prices.

Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Photographing stage performances--help!)