Subject: [Leica] Private property and buildings
From: Mike Gil <dtt2150@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:24:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Luggers,

Here is one for the Nazi property owners file.  I was
photographing at the Century City Plaza towers in Los
Angeles.  When out of no where this lady comes up to
me and starts barking at me asking why I'm I taking
photographs of the buildings, she demanded to know if
I was going to publish the picture, what was my
purpose for taking the photographs.  I was completely
shocked at her behavior.

First off these buildings are going to be torn down
and new ones put in their place, so I thought whats
the big deal.  Second, It was lunch time and I was
walking around with a camera in my hand no strap no
camera bag to photo vest just dress like one of the
crowd.  So I thought I was keeping a low profile. And
I was really not taking to many pictures of the
buildings just using the elevation of plaza to get
pictures of the surrounding buildings.

I had just finished the roll of film and was putting
the lens cap back on, when so appeared out of no
where.  She promtly said "We don't allow pictures of
the building, it's private property!"  I said, I was
photographing the vista.  She kind of looked at me
funny.  And she continued the barrage, she said I
better stop it or else.

I had enough of her and took the roll of film from the
camera and put it in my pocket.  I wasn't going to
give it up but she looked at me like if I was going to
turn it in to her.  I continued to sit there and she
stood there like she was protecting a million dollar
view.

This place might be private property but its filled
with stores that encourage the public to walk thru,
office workers, tourist.  I said to her, if im across
the street and taking a picture of the building thats
ok right?  She again gave me a dirty face and said i
was not allowed to photograph the building period.  I
couldn't believe what she had just said.  Since now I
was getting pissed I told her I was walking across the
street and taking the picture.

She must of run back to call security because next
thing I know i saw a couple of suits coming my way.
We'll I gave them the slip thru one of the many stairs
in this building complex, lucky for me this is not the
middle east.  I can't believe, I had become such a
criminal for taking a photo.  With all the lunatics
out there, I had become one of them.

Has other luggers been harrased in this way before or
this building just going over the top. I think I might
post some of the photographs on the web,  I'm getting
scared.

Mike Gil