Subject: [Leica] Re: Private property and buildings
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 00:37:33 -0400

2001-09-06-16:24:56 Mike Gil:
> Has other luggers been harrased in this way before or
> this building just going over the top. I think I might
> post some of the photographs on the web,  I'm getting
> scared.

I've been in the habit of wandering around my neighborhood snapping
pictures of anything which happens to catch my eye for the eleven or
so years I've been living here.  A few months ago, a longtime vacant
lot became a job site, as a pretty disturbingly huge apartment complex
went up.  I was strolling down the public-looking access road between
two halves of the site when a beefy construction boss type ankled up
and demanded to know who I was shooting for.  He didn't really try the
encroaching-on-legalities approach to try to stop me; he relied on good
old-fashioned threats and personal intimidation.  He was sturdily built
and seemed a little crazy, so I beat a mild retreat; found the whole
thing unusually disturbing, though.

I kind of think he didn't want the place's shoddy construction and
likely code violations (Jersey City is reknowned for its long and
honored heritage of corruption) documented -- I later heard that the
same developers had had a place they built a few towns away burn down,
and burn so hot it took out half a block of other buildings.

I've never seen a place that big (two halves, together filling a
smallish city block) and high (4-5 stories?) built with wood framing
instead of concrete and steel.  Looked like a pile of tinder inside,
then they slapped a brick skin on it (the chimney?).  Hope it doesn't
take my apartment with it if it goes.

Replies: Reply from John Hudson <xyyc@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Private property and buildings)
Message from Mike Gil <dtt2150@yahoo.com> ([Leica] Private property and buildings)