Subject: [Leica] WAS:lower classes don't use leicas? now..SERVICE!
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 10:19:20 -0700

Leica service and loaner equipment:

In this thread we are dealing with two types of Leica owners/users:  The
working professional and the amateur.

The professional:
Those who's gear must be ready 24 hours a day to complete assignments for
their livelihood, unlike the amateur who's income is derived through other
manner than photography. And in most cases can live without a camera for
some time while being serviced. If not, buy another body, as sooner or later
nearly everyone can use two cameras 99% of the time .

The amateurs may not agree but that's the facts of life. And what Canon &
Nikon do isn't relevant to this situation simply because, if one believes
their way is the better way, then obviously.... buy their gear and be a
happy camper! :-)

For the uninformed, Leica Camera Inc USA has a "Leica Professional Service".
If you're a pro all one does is complete the Pro application and you're on
the list for "high speed service and loaner equipment."

This service is through the office of  Mr. Ralph Hagenauer, Director of
Marketing. So any of you pro's not on the Leica list for Pro servicing I
suggest you contact him at 800-222-0118 ext. 219 or e-mail:
RJLeicaUSA@aol.com

However, it's my understanding you must be a working professional.

The Amateur:
As an ex. amateur I realize it's tough having a camera malfunction when some
family event is about to happen. And in some cases Leica have come through
with flying colours with service as reported on the screen in the past. Not
always, but when they can.

It's general practice to look after professionals first, Leica, Canon or
Nikon and if there is gear or service techs available for rush amateur
service it happens. Some may not believe that, but that's the way it is.
Again it's the facts of life!

As I suggested above, buy two camera bodies. Most amateur photographers I
know eventually have two bodies for any number of reasons, film types, lens,
whatever. This is a form of insurance at best, just in case you have a crash
and burn of gear and that's why many pros have a half dozen M bodies or
SLR's.

Only in our case it can mean the loss of  income or loss of a major client.
Imagine this scenario if you will.

"Oh gee whiz my camera broke and I couldn't take your pictures!"

And that's the last time you ever ever hear from them again! :-(

So there is fast service for the pros and amateur service for the amateurs.

It's the facts of life, live with it or change gear. But as surely as this
is Monday, whining isn't going to get you anything!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?)