Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 correction lens
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:52:54 +0200

Herb writes:

> I have a slight argument to make with regard
> to "take your correction and subtract -.5 from
> it."  The argument goes this way: if I am
> comfortable looking through the unmodified M6
> viewfinder while wearing my glasses, then I
> should be equally comfortable with a correction
> lens of the same strength as my glasses.

True, and I agree.  My mistake.

> This guy insisted that the Li batteries were
> wrong for both cameras.  I subsequently phoned
> Leica and was told that the Li was preferred
> because of long shelf life.

I've been using the lithium batteries since forever.  They have that open-ended
shelf life, as Leica said, and they don't leak or discharge in the camera when
not in use, and they last longer, and they are even lighter than silver-oxide
batteries; plus there is only one battery to buy, instead of two.

I do wonder, though, if I can get away with using a lithum AA cell in my Sekonic
meter.  The manual talks as thought only alkalines are acceptable, but they
might simply be trying to exclude carbon batteries.  As far as I know, lithium
AA batteries have the same output voltage as alkaline AAs, and they have many
other advantages, as outlined above.  Anyone care to comment?  I rather doubt
that the meter uses the battery as a voltage standard, anyway, since the voltage
under load will vary significantly over the life of the battery.

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] M6 correction lens)