Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 correction lenses--Win<>Win
From: "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:48:20 -0400

The original M eyepiece lens is NOT  removed when the correction lens is
installed.  The correction lens is in a mount which screws in over the
factory lens.  Thus, to arrive at your final effective lens power, you add
the values of the factory lens and your custom lens, taking negative numbers
into account. Therefore, (factory lens) plus (custom lens)=(your eyeglass
distance prescription).  And you have to know if your eyeglass distance
prescription is a plus or minus value.

Therefore, if your distance correction is, say, -1.0 diopter, you would need
a -0.5 custom lens.  That, when added to the factory -0.5, would yield
your -1.0.

If your distance correction is, say, +1.0, then you would need a custom lens
of +1.5, which, added to the factory -0.5, would yield your desired sum of
+1.0.

Part of the trick is in knowing what the factory has already put into its
own eyepiece.

Does this sound right?  Do we have any eye doctors on the LUG?

Julian