Subject: [Leica] R8 user spotted
From: Gerry Walden <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:23:03 +0100

I went across on the ferry to the Isle of Wight which is a small island
near us on Friday so that I could photograph the yachts taking part in
Cowes Week which is an internationally famous yachting regatta.   The best
way to photograph them easily is from the deck of the ferry as it goes into
Cowes Harbour and out again.   The total trip one way is an hour through
the yachts for around $12!   Any how, I was shooting with my R8 and 350mm
together with everything from 28mm upwards as we got in close.   Film was
Provia 400F.   It is times like this that I wish Leica made a 15 - 500mm f2
zoom!

Sat at the front of the open deck was a guy who later told me had been
retired for 28 years so that puts him around the late 70's.   He was
cradling an R8 so I just had to say 'Hi!'.   During the course of the
ensuing conversation he told me that he bought his first Leica just before
the outbreak of WWII in 1939 and had used Leica ever since apart from a
short period when he tried the very first Contax SLR, which he traded for a
Leica SLR when it came out.   He was shooting on the 180mm which I tried -
hat a nice lens!   He told me he now seldom uses anything else and for the
last 14 years he has shot mostly wild flowers and butterflies using the 180
and tubes if needed.

I asked him how he liked the R8 and he found it a fabulous camera that had
never given him a moments trouble with a great exposure system, but it was
now too heavy for his arthritic hands (and that was without the
motor!)   He said that he wished he could go back to an RE but he was
finding the whole photography thing a little beyond him now as he got
older.   He evidently puts his slides together for illustrated talks with
multi-projectors and music, but age is catching up on him.

I spent a very pleasant time with the guy who certainly made the less
interesting part of the journey pass quicker.

Gerry