Subject: [Leica] Color printing (was Another Sin of my Youth)
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:13:10 -0700

I have been doing color printing since 1980.  Currently, I have given
up slides and am printing just color negatives.  Some people might
disagree with this opinion, but I have found the actual processing to
be quicker and easier than processing black and white, using the
Tetenal room temperature kit (imported to U.S. by JOBO) and just
processing in trays.  The RA-4 paper appears to have a thin emulsion
that develops essentially to completion in the prescribed time, so
that reasonable amounts of over development are harmless.   I use 8 x
10 trays with 500 ml of solution for the developer and bleach-fix.  I
use a big tray for the stop bath since this stuff is cheap, and that
way, I don't have to be dexterous in getting the wet print into this
bath in the dark.  After 20 seconds in the stop, the lights can be
turned on.  The development time ranges from 50 to 70 seconds,
depending on temperature, and the minimum bleach/fix time is 50
seconds.  After washing the print for three minutes or more, I sponge
it clear of excess water and lay it down on a paper towel.  By the
time I'm ready to lay down the next print, the previous one is almost
dry, and I complete the process with a hair dryer.

The only skills you have to develop beyond the skills you need for
black and white printing are doing a bit of the work in total
darkness and dealing with color balance.  I strongly recommend
getting a color head for the enlarger; dealing with filters is just a
pain in the ... .   And, I recommend buying the Kodak viewing
filters.  You have to learn how to interpret what you see when
viewing through them, but I find them a great help.   I generally hit
the color balance I want in, at most, the third try--usually even on
the second try.

Herb