Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V20 #204
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:13:08 -0700

When my kitchen was remodeled, the fascist regulations in Palo Alto
required the contractor to install fluorescent lighting.  The
darkroom, adjacent to the kitchen, suffered the same fate.  I very
quickly replaced the light with incandescent because when I switched
it on, there could be a delay of up to five seconds before light
appeared.  I think there also may have been a phosphorescent
afterglow when switched off; I'm not sure I remember.

Regarding color: It is conventional to color balance prints for
viewing by incandescent light, since that is the most commonly used.
So, if you want to be in step with the rest of the world, you should
do the same.  If the prints are black and white, it hardly matters.

Herb

P.S. The fluorescent lights in the kitchen itself were so miserable
that I replaced them all with incandescent.  So much for the
energy-saving regulations.  All the did was to put me to extra
expense.