Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Salgado
From: Bob Walkden <bob@web-options.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 17:30:21 +0100

Hi,

I'm not sure what involvement that might have been. Smith died in the
mid 70s I think, round about the time Salgado was joining Magnum, so they
may have met I suppose, but hasn't Salgado won the WE Smith prize on a
couple of occasions? His printing is similar to Smith's in many ways -
lots of bleaching and manipulation, and they share a taste for
dramatic classical composition and light. I think Salgado acknowledges WES
as a major influence, but I'm not sure that that could be classed as
'involvement'. Salgado's name doesn't feature in the index of Hughes'
biog of WES.

I think you're certainly correct that WES is a greater influence on
Salty Seb's work then Hank is.

- ---

 Bob

mailto:bob@web-options.com