Subject: [Leica] pyro
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:55:00 +0100

Kevin M. Bell asked

>Does it also tan the negative gelatin, which is what produces the edge
>effects seen with PMK (and Kodachrome as well)?

after I had written

>>If you like pyro you may also wish to try DiXactol which is usable as a
>>one-bath or two-bath developer. It is a very sharp glycin - catechol formula
>>that stains very much like pyro.

Yes. I should have written 'tans and stains very much like pyro'. Or urine.
Isn't catechol a constituent of urine? Chemical name 1,2
peepeebenzolargactol.Good for developing 4x5 negs, as suggested by Mark R.

Mark R put forward the proposition that one should use real pyro instead of
a catch-all formula. That's a relephant. I was developed with real pork pyro
and sloppy peas and look where that got me. In the pits - worse! - in the
Yorkshire pits.

Regards,
Malcolm