Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: My heart say the 35mm f2 ASPH :-)
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 17:31:00 -0500

Michael,

>>Yes, the Leica tools MAY be a bit better in the bench tests way out at the

corners and they are certainly built with greater quality control, but you
most likely will not realise a $1700 difference in your images above and
beyond the top quality CV tools.<<

Short term, I agree. But what about the long run? You bring up a good point
about build. I don't want to take anything away from less expensive
alternatives. But I wonder how some of them will perform after a few years
of heavy use. You buy a lens once. But each one has a finite life -- some, I
think, longer than others. I could be wrong, but that's been my experience
over the years. I had a really sharp Vivtar lens once. I bumped it slightly,
and it wasn't so sharp anymore.

Collectors have it all wrong. They should collect and not use the less
expensive lenses. That way they'll stay shiney and tight forever. Out of the
box performance is important. But so is lifespan. Leica lenses are built for
the long run.

Plus, Leica lenses are so fun to shoot.

Dave