Subject: RE: [Leica] Photos of Tokyo
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 17:02:56 -0500

George,

No filter. Used Supra 400 on these shots. The subway shot had a florescent
light tint (blue-green). I removed it in Vueprint. I didn't put much time
into either image, thus far. They're low res scans. Digital thumbnails. The
modern contact sheet. I just tweaked the color balance on one and quickly
Photoshoped my finger out of the other. Got tired of watching my scanner
churn away. I felt the urge to tweak something. Sure is more difficult to
manipulate a low res images, though.

Regarding light. I had to buy some Fuji film in Japan. It's easier to find
than Kodak over there :-). Fuji film seemed to handle the florescent light a
little better. I ran into lots of florescent light. When I first viewed the
images I thought it was just the way the scan software might have handled
the film. Then I realized that I've hard coded exposure, white point, etc.
so it's the same for every image. I did that so I wouldn't waste time doing
an exposure pass on every neg. I can throw everything with a specific color
tint into a directory and batch run color correction later. Right now, I'm
looking at content more than anything.

When I get everything scanned, I'll go back and rescan some images, and
perhaps tweak others. I'll rescan any that I want to print. (I'm using IR
neg clean now, which may reduce quality slightly). This is one of those
situations where a SuperCoolscan, with the attachment that will batch feed
an entire roll of negs, would be mighty handy. I have an LS-30, and that
autofeeds 6 negs at a time, max. It's fast, but I have to man the scanner.

I'm going to throw out the really bad images and put the rest on a CD with a
shareware slide show program I found. That way the people (program sponsors)
that need to review the images can just click on the program and view the
photos full screen one at a time. I'll probably be putting 500 images on the
final CD. About half of what I shot. I don't need a digital watermark on the
photos. A low res JPEG file is just as effective (i.e. you really can't do
much with it).

I figured out that it would have cost me about $500 to get prints made of
all the film I shot. More if I factor in the 20 rolls of b/w. And then I'd
only have a single print of each. I've got to get the images in the hands of
about a dozen people. Digital is far and away the best way to do this. If
viewers have an image viewing program, great. If not, they can just pop in
the CD and click an slide show icon and watch...and watch. Much easier than
carting around a bunch of proof books, and making sure the books get into
the hands of a dozen different groups in two weeks time. Digital has its
advantages. I'm glad that the originals are on film, though. I want to make
some C prints.

Dave