Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW - try again
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 08:28:19 +0200

Dave,

I was not sure if your comments were tongue-in-cheek or not, probably they
were, but  I will venture a serious reply anyway. Yes, it is true that the
LUG tends to respond more to pictures of people, as this is the genre that
made Leica famous. But Leica lenses are just as good for other purposes, and
you should not tailor your PAW to what you think the audience likes. You
should choose the pictures you think represent your work, your life,
whatever, during the week in question and post them, period. This does not
mean that you should not respond to constructive criticism and take it on
board, this is after all one of the main purposes of posting one's work on
the Internet, but you should not impose self-censorship on yourself to
please the LUG.

I tend to post people pictures on my PAW, but if, like Week 29, my
photography was dominated by landscape, then I post landscape shots. In the
final analysis my PAW has to satisfy ME before anyone else.

Nathan

BTW, I still like your picture of the two girls.

Dave Hillman wrote:

> No one except me liked my first effort a PAW.  So, from the same roll I
> picked another and relegated the first try to alternate.  I think you
> critics like pictures of people, so this is my first try at what might
> be called 'street photography'.  This is a new genre to me, so I may
> have it all wrong.  Do I need to convert it to b&w, add some grain as if
> it was 3200 speed and twist it 20 degrees as though I wasn't looking
> through the view finder?  Please advise.  I tried to pick the decisive
> moment and this was one of the few I tried in which my reaction time was
> short enough that no one stepped in front of the camera.  Instead the
> violent poke at the release succeeded in blurring the image and I missed
> the look on the girl's face when she was handed a crab.
>
> I think I should go back to old trolley cars.
>
> http://www.hillmanimages.com/bw/L6-5b.html
>
> ---
> Dave Hillman

- --