Subject: Re: [Leica] Converters with the 400/6.8
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 1 Aug 2001 10:03:18 -0700

On Wed, 01 August 2001, John Collier wrote:

> Further to my original post. Is there a technical reason why Leica would
> make, at the same time and when the SL2 was current, a separate converter
> for both R and SL cameras? Too little space for all the different linkages?
>
> John Collier

Yep it's a linkage issue.  Not sure if the Leicaflex versions can use full-aperture metering, but I can't imagine why Leica would have made a different version otherwise.

IMHO it would have been better if they had made the R-version usable on the Leicaflexes with a severe warning to use stop-down metering on these bodies.  They could also have installed a 2nd cam (the SL/SL2 metering cam) with a reasonably simple linkage if the prime lens is a 3-cam or 3rd-cam lens.

It's a non-issue with the f/6.8 telyts 'cuz they're always metered at working aperture but overall IMHO it's a case of Leica protecting us (too much) from ourselves.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe