Subject: Re: [Leica] caution, amateur at work.
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 3 Aug 2001 10:26:29 -0700

On Fri, 03 August 2001, "Steve Barbour" wrote:

> So much talk, so few photos....so with a lot of trepidation I put some of my
> favorite images on a site to share with you.  I am surprised as I feel a lot
> of emotion....including pride and stagefright.
>
> Your comments would be helpful and appreciated.
>
> *****    Steve Barbour
>
>               kididdoc@home.com
>
>               http://kididdoc.tripod.com/imagesbarbour/

Steve, this is supposed to be constructive commentary, but it's free so take it for what it's worth -

My favorites are "hat" and "cycling".  The background in "hat" is recognizable enough that it provides context, yet not so detailed or contrasty that it distracts from the person.  The point of greatest contrast is where the sunglasses meet the background: there's a contrast in texture, tone and detail all at that point.  Just where it ought to be.

I think "cycling" could be improved by cropping a bit from either side, on the right to eliminate the stray wheel, on the left to eliminate the stray cyclist.  Both of those things distract me from the main body of the picture.

Your photos of the kids could be improved (IMHO) by bouncing your flash off a wall or ceiling.  I'm not a fan of the direct flash look.  Now, about the guy in the restaurant... is there any help for him???  actually there's a good distribution of the red colors in the vase, the napkin and... the other flower.  Next time tell him to shift his head a bit to the right to hide the exit sign.

There are a few photos where distracting areas in the background are a problem, like "dragonfly" where the background colors overwhelm the insect, and "pot" where the light bands in the background are distracting.

On page 2, the dramatic area of the B&W photo is the rocks and sky.  If you crop some off the bottom you'll make it a better photo.

Remember it's all free advice :)  Take it for what it's worth.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe