Subject: Re: [Leica] Converters with the 400/6.8
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 1 Aug 2001 09:20:47 -0700

On Wed, 01 August 2001, John Collier wrote:

> Thanks Doug and George.
>
> What is it about the "R only" bayonet flange that prevents mounting the
> converter onto a SL or SL2? Could it be machined to work? I suppose this
> would mar the hard chrome finish of the mount.
>
> John Collier

The R-only flange can be machined to fit a Leicaflex but as you mentioned this would remove the chrome finish in that area exposing the softer brass.  The difference is an extra ridge on the inner perimeter of the mounting surface.  The Leicaflex mounting surface is wider than the R surface, so the extra ridge prevents an R-only lens (or converter) from seating in the lens mount.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe