Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanning
From: "Meino de Graaf" <mgraaf@csc.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:05:36 +0200

>>OK, now that we have had scanning epistemology, ontology, and a Great
>>Schism over the hermeneutics of The Book of Nyquist, how 'bout some nuts
'n
>>bolts?
>>
>>Hear ye, hear ye, all ye good folks who scan black and white *film*.  Do
>>you use "real" B&W or chromagenic film?  I'm particularly interested in
>>people who use film scanners and real black-and-white.  Have you had
>>problems with grain aliasing?  If so, what scanner do you use, what's its
>>resolution, and what do you do about the aliasing?  Defocus?  Scan at
lower
>>resolution?  Limit the size of your prints?  Wave chicken entrails over
>>your head in a paper bag at midnight?
>>
>>--Peter

Peter,

I have scanned B&W film and printed it, but I decided that I liked the wet
Darkroom better for it, so the scanner (Canon FS2710) and printer (Epson
1160) replaced only my color processing. In my case the printing of slides
to 16x20 format prints.

I experience grain aliasing. Most of my slides are Kodachrome, which are
more sensitive to it then ektachrome type slides. Because there is no way
to prevent it or solve it, you have to live with it. There are a few things
you can do, to reduce the effect, FE a small amount of defocusing. I
stopped using sharping techniques on the scans, because that enhances the
problem. Although with Kodachrome 200 scans, I sometimes sharpens because
it results in a very pseudo grainy image resembling a harsh overdevelopped
tri-x look.

Further, I'm saving my money to upgrade to a 4000dpi scanner.

Some information about this phenomen can be found at:

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm

Meino de Graaf