Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Re: Digital Leica and reality
From: "Meino de Graaf" <mgraaf@csc.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:58:20 +0200

Your reaction is VERY strange, because I know what my own eyes tells me,
and what also the writer of the site tells, their is a significant
difference between the 2700, 4000 and 6000 dpi scans, especial in the case
of the drum scans.

Meino de Graaf

                    "Mxsmanic"
                    <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>               To:     <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
                    Sent by:                             cc:
                    owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-        Subject:     Re: [Leica] RE: Re: Digital Leica and reality
                    alto.ca.us

                    07/26/01 12:13 PM
                    Please respond to leica-users

Thanks.  The illustrations on this page, which is one of my favorites,
prove my
point quite well, as does the text.  Note that a 4000 dpi scan of 35mm film
is
virtually indistinguishable from a 2700 dpi scan; essentially all you get
is
better resolution of grain and blurred details.  The only case in which
very
high-resolution scans make a difference is for larger film formats, such as
the
4x5 format shown in the examples, which is obviously of much better quality
at
3300 dpi than 35mm is even at 6000 dpi.  If resolution is so critical to
you
that the tiny increment between 2700 dpi and 4000 dpi makes a difference
for
your application in 35mm, maybe you should be shooting MF to begin with.

Note that all these formats, even 35mm scanned at 2700 dpi, provide more
detail
than the eye can normally see for full-frame images at normal viewing
distances.