Subject: Re: [Leica] digital M
From: Michael Darling <cosmo@drexel.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:42:14 -0400

on 7/23/01 11:36 AM, Austin Franklin at darkroom@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I am curious what you believe one can do to design and optimize lenses for
> CCD capture?  Aside from focal length and area coverage, that is.

That would depend on the CCD sensor (and I'm far from knowledgeable on
those) but since they are NOT film it is probably wise to say that they have
different characteristics.

They probably treat incident light differently and have different properties
than the substrate of film.  Remember we're talking about a silicon chip
thatıs been doped and processed, not a silver-gelatin mixture on film.  They
may be more sensitive in one area of the light spectrum than another, but
this could be corrected for in software.  Of course a traditional lens will
work.  The CCD just might be happier with a lens designed for its
specifications.  I only know what I learned in my solid state devices
courses, but we were focusing on the physics and structure of devices like
this -- not their imaging properties.

Mike