Subject: [Leica] automation
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:30:22 -0400

Like several other posts I find automation can make shooting harder.  Here's
the deal.  When we start out the automation makes the hit rate higher,
everything is in focus, the exposure appears dead on.  For those times when
**t's hitting the fan the upper tier AF camera's from any leading
manufacturer make it possible to bring home a focused exposed image.

But, when you get some time under your belt you start to wonder? What would
happen if I went to 1.4 focused on the eyelash in the top corner of the
frame at one meter and overexposed two stops to completely blow the
highlights and popped a 283 at 1/64th bounced off your forehead.  Now you
are spending your time turning things off, fine tuning focus after focusing,
trying to find your exposure compensation all the while trying to entertain
the subject.  Yes, the twelve pound wonder plastic can be tamed, but you
know, it's a breeze with an M or an SL(insert R8 for the non Luddites),
almost intuitive in fact.  And yes, I do own and use the Japanese choice
that focuses in the correct direction for those subjects that require
predictive autofocus to get an image: I never was any good with a Speed
Graphic for those subjects.

So, the Japanese un-Leica camera philosophy has a valid place for many
users.  It's just that many times it's easier, quicker, and more
self-expressive to do it yourself the Leica way.

more pfennigs to the choir

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com