Subject: Re: [Leica] Meter Choices, anyone?
From: Barney Quinn <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:38:30 -0400

Simon,

As a PAW kind of thing I sold my EOS gear and decided to spend a year shooting
with a Canon F1, just to see what it was like. The F1, in general, is a great
camera, but this one was a bit of a lemon. It was in the shop a lot, so I got to
spend a lot of time with my M6.

At first I kinda dreaded the thought, even though I have used RF cameras for
years. I think that automation has it's place, and I'd even argue that the R8 is
a fairly automated camera, lacking only AF. But, clearly, without realizing it,
I had allowed all the advertising and hype to convince me that all this
automatic stuff was really required to do good photography. It isn't. Once I
picked up my M6 old lessons which had been dormant in my mind for years came
rushing back. Zone focusing, bracketing, you name it. Reality 101a - if the
light don't change and the subject don't move you only have to set the exposure
and focus once, for the first shot.

It is SO easy to underestimate the M6. It's so tempting to presume that
something so simple and so elegant can't do the job. Nothing could be further
from the truth. It's an amazingly effective camera. Sure, it has its own
learning curve if one is new to it, but so do these fancy new cameras. I think
that automation is a good thing when its needed, and I believe in horses for
courses. My point is just that it is so tempting for people who have never used
one ( and I think that this includes most non-LUGgers who have a lot to say on
the subject ) or for those of us who have not shot with one for a while to
totally underestimate this wonderful piece of photographic gear.

Barney

PS - I don't think you wasted your money on a fancy camera. When you need these
features you need them. The fact that you could cover a basketball game with a
4x5 view camera doesn't mean it's the best way to do the job.

Message from "Mark E Davison" <dmark8@qwest.net> (Re: [Leica] Meter Choices, anyone?)
Message from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@transbay.net> (Re: [Leica] Meter Choices, anyone?)
Message from ray tai <razerx@netvigator.com> (Re: [Leica] Meter Choices, anyone?)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Meter Choices, anyone?)