Subject: Re: [Leica] Meter Choices, anyone?
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 07:27:35 -0400

Just in passing, I read this and remembered an old photog's trick that
basically you can meter on anything if you are familiar with where your
'zones' fall when you develop your film.
I was taught lo these many moons ago that you can meter either on a shadow,
and stop down two stops or meter on a highlight and open two stops, noit
just on your hand, and get within practical range, especially for black and
white.
It has always worked for me, especially since I rarely do slides- and when I
did, I did meter and bracket just to make sure. As they say- you may not
come this way again!
I am amazed that the simple metering system in the M6 works so well when
compared to the hyper accurate, multi mode, 128 zone, segmented CCD metering
with programs that so many 'professional' cameras have now! Most of the
time, you get better shots just metering for a given situation, and then
shooting all the frames there at that setting! Yes, indeed, the M6 is one of
life's simpler pleasures!
Dan (The IIIf notwithstanding!) Post