Subject: Re: [Leica] Grokking bokeh
From: "Brian Walsh \(E-mail\)" <rbwalsh1@dcn.davis.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:36:20 -0700

Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:34:03 +0200
From: "stephen holloway" <stephen.holloway@balcab.ch>

Adam Bridge wrote:

> Anyway....I have this image which I took on the 4th of July here in Davis,
> CA while walking back from the bike races. Without a doubt it's the most
> pleasing image in B&W I've ever made.
> . . .
> So, is this "good bokeh", or am I missing the point?

Stephen Holloway responded that "The look you've got here is very typical
for a Leica 50 (it's got the coma), highlights and out-of-focus lines have a
delicate bright edge to them (so called ni-sen bokeh)".

I agree that it looks like what _I_ understand is "ni-sen" or "double-line"
bokeh. It's not really too distracting in this photograph, but bokeh
afficiandos might prefer that the bright-ring circles in the upper left be
creamy smooth discs, perhaps with just a bit more brightness at the centers,
rather than the situation you have here.

Frankly, after twenty years in Davis, I doubt that good bokeh can be
attained here. Perhaps it's just a California thing--but maybe it's my lens
selection.

Brian Walsh