Subject: Re: [Leica] Grokking bokeh
From: "stephen holloway" <stephen.holloway@balcab.ch>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:34:03 +0200

Adam Bridge wrote:

> I admit that I'm having an interesting time grokking this concept of bokeh
> to the fullest. Perhaps I'm just too much of a neophyte.
>
> Anyway....I have this image which I took on the 4th of July here in Davis,
> CA while walking back from the bike races. Without a doubt it's the most
> pleasing image in B&W I've ever made.
>
> It was taken with an M6-TTL, a Summicron 1:2/50 (the kind that can do a bit
> of macro if you have the goggles for it, which I don't), on Agfa APX 100
> film. The day had a high thin overcast which I think is why I like this
> photo so much. Shot wide-open at F2 standing as close to the subject as
> possible.
>
> I scanned the negative with a Nikon Colorscan 4000 at 4000 px/in monochrome.
>
> <http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/images/Leica/lanterns-72-web.jpg>
>
> So, is this "good bokeh", or am I missing the point?

There's no such thing as good or bad bokeh. The question is do you like
it? It looks pretty good to me.

Most people's idea of good bokeh is a smooth, gaussian look to the
highlights, but you won't get that with many 50s in a complex background
and it's sort of a nothing look anyway (some pictures I've seen of the
135/3.4 look pretty smooth). If you've got a lot of blur in the picture
it seems a good idea to try and construct something with it rather than
hope people won't notice it.

The look you've got here is very typical for a Leica 50 (it's got the
coma), highlights and out-of-focus lines have a delicate bright edge to
them (so called ni-sen bokeh), look at the top left. If you fuss up the
background with some straight lines (and bokeh is all about the
background and learning the difference this makes) you can have a nice
finger-painted look. Or you can try to echo the leaves with oval,
coma-ed highlights (get them all around the subject and the coma will
give a swirl effect).

Don't bother thinking about this if you've got a major head of state
sliding down the bannisters towards you, just take the picture!

- --
Stephen Holloway
http://www.deetpturtle.com/steve/photos