Subject: Re: [Leica] Grokking bokeh
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <SonC@sonc.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:14:48 -0500

Adam,

Nice pic, and the Bokeh is pleasant enough for me.  But what
do I know?  http://www.sonc.com/Bokeh.htm

I'm not sure about your Epson 870, but my 1520's software
has a check mark spot for color ink or black ink.  I have
found that if you tick that black square, you'll not get the
color casts in BW printing.  Yours may be different . . .

Regards,
SonC

> I admit that I'm having an interesting time grokking this
concept of bokeh
> to the fullest. Perhaps I'm just too much of a neophyte.
>
> Anyway....I have this image which I took on the 4th of
July here in Davis,
> CA while walking back from the bike races. Without a doubt
it's the most
> pleasing image in B&W I've ever made.
>
> It was taken with an M6-TTL, a Summicron 1:2/50 (the kind
that can do a bit
> of macro if you have the goggles for it, which I don't),
on Agfa APX 100
> film. The day had a high thin overcast which I think is
why I like this
> photo so much. Shot wide-open at F2 standing as close to
the subject as
> possible.
>
> I scanned the negative with a Nikon Colorscan 4000 at 4000
px/in monochrome.

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/images/Leica/lanterns-72-we
b.jpg>

> So, is this "good bokeh", or am I missing the point?
>
> Thanks for any comments you may wish to share on this
point.

> One other thing: printing B&W. I pulled this into
Photoshop and printed it
> on my Epson 870. If I print in color mode there is a
warmth to the image. If
> I print it B&W mode it seems almost blue-ish and suddenly
a grainy-ness that
> isn't there in the image or in the version printed in
color mode.