Subject: Re: [Leica] re: should i buy a noctilux?
From: "stephen holloway" <stephen.holloway@balcab.ch>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:53:33 +0200

Mxsmanic wrote:

> I'd very much like to know his secret for focusing accurately at f/1 in fast
> street photography.  It scarcely seems possible, and yet his photos seem to
> prove that it is.

There's no real secret: it's just a combination of techniques.

- - Lots of practice at snap focusing. With the Noctilux, there's no time
to rack the lens round from infinity, I place it a little ahead of the
expected subject distance so only a small twitch of the ring is
necessary. Don't twiddle with the focus if you think it's not quite
there, take the picture anyway.

- - If possible take more than one picture of a subject (sometimes a lot
more). If you're using a difficult technique you have to accept a lower
hit rate sometimes.

- - For things like the Fastnacht pictures where people are moving
predictably, I use a 'gating' technique. Preset the lens focus, put it
to your eye and let the subject walk into frame, hit the shutter when
the rangefinder lines up. You lose control over timing with this
technique, so take lots of pictures. If there's room, start walking
backwards in front of the subject, now you've got lots of timing control
- - don't forget to look behind you every few seconds though! (Or get an
assistant).

You've got to try and stay in control of the situation, exposure should
always be preset and rarely adjusted (use an incident meter or sunny 16
rule). Street pictures normally build up fairly slowly in front of you
(over a few seconds), if you've got a clear idea of what the picture is
you can prepare the focus and be ready for it.

Did I already say take the picture anyway? You can correct or forgive
gross errors in composition, exposure or focus; but if the timing's
wrong the picture is junk.

- --
Stephen Holloway
http://www.deepturtle.com/steve/photos