Subject: [Leica] why Don Chatterton left the lug....
From: "Duane Birkey" <duanebirkey@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:44:48 -0500

As I remember it, Don was hounded, slandered and abused on the LUG repeated
by some guy over a CL that he refused to sell him or some ridiculous
grudge.....   then there was Fred Ward, Marvin Moss and a bunch of other
nice guys who didn't like on-line criticism..... anyone see Charles Grodin's
commentary on the subject on 60 minutes II last night?????

After looking through the last several days digests and wearing out my page
down key!!!!!!  Perhaps someone should summon Oddmund.... there was a guy
who could really inflame people's political and ideological passions.....

On second thought, possible threads that haven't come up in at least the
last 3 days...

I thinking about buying a Mont Blanc pen.... is it really the finest writing
instrument???  I've heard good things about Tilley hats... are they worth
the money????  A friend of mine read on Steve Gandy's website that the M3 DS
was the finest M camera ever made but Erwin Puts says the M-6 is the best,
who's right???  I've heard that you shouldn't put a UV filter on a lens as
it might cause flare... but the guy on the phone at B&H insisted I buy
one...   I read that with the progress made recently in digital imaging that
film will be dead soon....   But is digital photography really art?????  I
heard that the 50 DR Summicron is the best 50 ever made, but Popular
Photography say the Zeiss one for Contax is the best made.  I saw a picture
of a guy in a magazine with tape all over his cameras....  Do you think it
is a good idea to cover up the leica logo with tape, and what kind should I
use????   I bought a chrome M6 and I can't decide whether to buy black
lenses or chrome lenses.....  What kind of bag should I buy?????  I want to
buy a Noctilux, but I can't seem to find one made in Germany... a
photographer I know told me to avoid buying anything Leica made in Portugal
or Canada.... I've heard Voightlander is making lenses for Leicas now?????

My apologies to Steve, Erwin, Henry, Jim, B.D., Ted and Marc and anyone else
whose name was implied, excluded or otherwise represented or misrepresented,
quoted or mis-quoted in the above threads.  For more information on any of
the above.... please consult the LUG Archives....  Actually it might be fun
to do a FAQ for Michael Bell with only the answers so that viewers could
guess the questions.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio, Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador: