Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 flare help
From: Béatrice Mousli <2bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 17:08:14 +0100

>I had my first experience with flare while doing a shoot outside
>yesterday. I was using my M6 .72 with the 50mm Summicron. The focus
>block turned white and made focusing impossible.
>My question is what can be done about it? Anything?
>I used my available hand in every conceivable place around the
>rangefinder to shade it and prevent the flare but nothing worked. Did I
>miss something or is this just what happens when the planets align in
>the incorrect order?
>Any answers, suggestions or fixes would be most appreciated.
>Lea

The thorny subject of RF patch flare raises its ugly head! Unlike some
fortunate Luggers who've never experienced this phenomenon, I have, and
offer the following solutions:

- - Cover the RF window with your finger (Are you sure you covered the right
window: the one with the vertical bevels? This usually does the trick.)
- - Shift your eye behind the VF
- - Change the camera position slightly
- - Move to another viewpoint

If the above methods fail, swear like all heck, grumble about how a $2000
camera should have no flaws, gnash your teeth, stomp your feet, then pull
out your Olympus P&S and get the shot.

That's what I do.

Guy

P.S. I seem to recall that some fellow is selling a tiny "filter" that one
puts on the RF window and that supposedly eliminates RF patch flare. He's
the same guy who makes "the sling." I'm sure some Lugger can post a link to
his site, should you be interested in such a thing.

Replies: Reply from Béatrice Mousli <2bennett@wanadoo.fr> (RE: [Leica] M6 flare help)
Reply from "G. Michael Paine" <mickeyp35@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] M6 flare help)