Subject: RE: [Leica] the "other" f1
From: "Vozeh, Colin" <colin@longitude.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 08:10:28 -0400

As f1 lenses go, I actually prefer the C* lens.  I think it's a combination
of two things: one, that aperture priority plus spot meter works great -
just crank it to f1 and leave it there, let the camera do the rest.  Two, in
the typical low-low light in which I tend to work, the autofocus actually
works better than my eye.  Then again, I only have a 0.72x body, so a higher
mag might change my mind completely.

If you think the Noctilux is a big heavy lens (well, it is), then don't
bother with the EF1.0L - it's at least twice as large.  Photodo indicates
that the Nocti is sharper, but the EF clearly vignettes less - it's quite
visible. But then again, its filter size is over 40% larger than its maximum
aperture.

Why hasn't it gotten much mind-share?  EF users tend to dislike it because
it has a really slow autofocus.  Other than that, it doesn't really suck,
tho.

C.